Economic Development Division
Wayne Babovec, Vice Chairman
Goal: Enhance and improve the economic environment in Terrell by assisting and promoting the development of new business, industry, and housing, while remaining responsive to the needs of existing retail, commercial, industrial, and housing-related entities.
Comprehensive Economic Development Plan
- Improve communication with the Terrell Economic Development Corporation (TEDC) by integrating the vice chairman as an ex officio member of the TEDC board.
- Develop a long-term strategy for local economic development by joining the efforts of the EDC to engage a third party consultant to formulate a comprehensive plan that addresses residential growth tactics and targets, retail development plans, average wage objectives, and other issues related to economic development.
- Schedule mid-year meeting of the economic development division to monitor progress of goal achievement.
- Support TEDC’s efforts to implement the recommendations of the strategic plan.
- Identify a provider to publicize local inventory of available construction sites, potential development tracts, and existing buildings at monthly board meetings, in the Chamber Spotlights, via email to targeted groups, and on social media.
- Recognize new business growth by marketing and hosting groundbreakings for new businesses, and soliciting press to publicize the events.
Existing Industry & Labor Force
- Take steps to increase the usage, accuracy and relevance of the Work in Terrell (WIT) webpage by creating and implementing a strategy to increase participation from employers. Communicate monthly with local employers to provide accurate information on WIT page.
- Develop and implement a plan for marketing available positions through the Work in Terrell program to the DFW metroplex and beyond.
- Promote the Career and Technical training programs in TISD by partnering industry with educators to maintain the viability of all programs and ensure their quality, growth, and relevance.
- Continue to take an active role in supporting and facilitating the Terrell Business and HR Association and the Terrell Area Workforce Council by hosting productive information sessions a minimum of two times per year.
- Develop and implement a summer internship program for Terrell ISD graduates.
- Facilitate a meeting in April 2018 involving Career Technical Education (CTE) and local Human Resource representatives to facilitate the high school to the career transition.
- Invite government officials and school officials, as well as future leaders to board meetings to open communication pathways, and institute meetings with officials on a smaller scale to present them with the ideas and concerns of our members.
- Support infrastructure development as the city’s long-range plan is implemented standards for improvement of exterior appearance.
- Support the TIF Board and power center in their development efforts.
- Support the needs of small business throughout the city with a representative from the Economic Development Division Committee attending the Small Business meetings at the Chamber monthly.
- Continue to work with major developers for construction of regional retail facilities. Identify target retail brands for recruitment.
- Facilitate and encourage proactive and open communication among the Terrell Economic Development Corporation, City of Terrell officials, potential housing developers, and assist in locating available tracts of land to support a wide range of housing options. Identify impediments and develop a plan.
- Support and encourage the communication of positive information about the community and availability of housing to the employees of local firms.
Members wishing to participate with the committee directing the Economic Development Division should contact:
Rowden, Hendrickson, Shipley & Rymer, Inc.
110 N. Catherine - Terrell, TX 75160
Economic Development Committee Members
Kevin Hargis, Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope
Steve Welk, Madix
Janice Revels, Texas Bank & Trust
Ray Dunlap, President, Terrell Economic Development Corporation
Dr. Bruce Wood, Chairman, Terrell Economic Development Corporation
Carol Ohmann, TEDC Board Member
Robert Messer, TEDC Board Member
Terry Barber, Kaufman County Commissioner Pct. #3
Charles Whitaker, Terrell City Council Member